Sunday, October 19, 2008

And I thought Pie tasted good...

"American Pie" Worldview: Secular Humanism

1. God and the Universe:
-No God
"The church bells all were broken"
"The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost"


2. Humanity
-The real life through music
"And singin', 'this'll be the day that I die.' "

3. Conflict
-When the music dies, there is conflict.
"The day the music died?"

4. Hope and Redemption
-The hope in this song is the music.
"Can music save your mortal soul"
"Cause the players tried to take the field;
The marching band refused to yield."

5. Values and Relationships
-Music is the main value.
"And if I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they'd be happy for a while."

6. Truth and Reality
-If there is no music, then there is nothing.

"Something touched me deep inside
The day the music died"

1 comment:

Mj said...

thanks man. good job. i do agree that music seems to be the answer in this piece... how does it connect to humanism?